Transportation Safety Research: Crashworthiness Analysis of Road Guardrail-Vehicle Using Computer Modeling and Simulation

Transportation Safety Research: Crashworthiness Analysis of Road Guardrail Using Computer Modeling and Simulation of Vehicle Impacts.

The purpose of roadside guardrail is to absorb the impact energy of a vehicle that may have lost control and stopped and redirected by the guardrail to avoid serious crash. The computer simulation result shown in the animation accurately reproduced an actual crash test results reported in the literature.

Pickup C2500 Impacting Thrie Beam Guardrail at 15 deg impact angle

The following excerpt is from car-accidents.com: “Accident data indicates that 50 to 60% of all reported guardrail accidents result in an injury or a fatality…… However, other accident data that takes into account unreported accidents, indicates that guardrails may be safe. This study believes that unreported guardrail impacts represent nearly 90% of the total collisions with guardrails, with the other 10% being reported. When looked at this way only 6% of guardrail accidents result in injuries or death.”

Dr. Uddin’s Note: The simulation animation that I presented in this post was originally developed as a part of the Crash Modeling and Simulation Center of Excellence project conducted at the University of Mississippi.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *