Asian Institute of Technology (AIT), Bangkok, Thailand: AIT Contributions to Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) Region and the World. Latest update is available from AIT Alumni web link.
Since its establishment in Bangkok in 1959 AIT has served billions of people worldwide by supporting and granting MS and PhD degrees to over 19,000 selected students across the globe from 88 countries. AIT is a successful model of post-graduate higher education institution serving Asia and other developing countries in the world for achieving capacity building and self reliance goals.
AIT celebrated its 117th Graduation Ceremony on 1 June 2012 in Thailand, another milestone since AIT renewed its status as an international intergovernmental organization. A total of 425 students from 25 countries in Asia, Africa, Europe, and North America were conferred with postgraduate degrees by AIT President Said Irandoust. These new alumni include 28 Doctoral degrees and 397 Master’s degrees in the fields of engineering, environment, and management.
- AIT Alumni now reside in 108 countries/territories or more than half of the world’s 193 U.N. member countries/territories.
- After June 2012 Graduation, there are more than 19,000 alumni and 26% of them are female and 5.4% of them with AIT Doctor or PhD degrees.
- The number of graduates of the first 7 years of The SEATO Graduate School of Engineering was only 175.
- The number of AIT graduates of from 2001- June 2012 consists of 44% of the total number of alumni.
- Alumni were holding or still hold some high-ranking government offices and top decision-making positions or listed among the richest persons of a country such as:
√ Members of a National Parliament
√ Ministers in a Government
√ Supreme Commander of a National Armed Forces
√ Rector/President of National Universities and International Research Institutions
√ Ambassador of a country to other country
√ Listed among 40 richest persons of a nation
√ Executive Chairman, owner or President of the leading or biggest companies in a country/territory
√ Executive Directors of multinational or international Organizations or companies
- Many alumni received prestigious international awards/honors including the Ramon Magsaysay Award.
- As per information available there are at least 30 alumni working for top 100 of Fortune 500 companies.
These AIT graduates reside and work in 108 countries/territories. Approximately one-third of these proud AIT alumni have been from Thailand, which is a testimony of AIT’s valuable contribution to the Royal Thai Government.
Top 22 countries with more than 100 alumni residing include:
- Thailand 5933
- Vietnam 2805
- Taiwan 777
- Nepal 721
- Indonesia 678
- Bangladesh 664
- Philippines 625
- India 603
- United States 581
- Pakistan 587
- Sri Lanka 545
- China 529
- Australia 502
- Myanmar 392
- Cambodia 376
- Laos 309
- Malaysia 277
- Singapore 219
- Canada 208
- France 163
- Japan 154
- Korea 155
AIT serves Thailand and all other countries in the ASEAN region. Overall more than 70% world population is served by AIT zone of influence where AIT alumni reside, work, and serve the society.
Dr. Uddin’s Note: I am indebted to AIT where I received my M.S. degree through a full scholarship grant of the U.K. Government. Following several years of experience in airport and road construction projects, I was awarded PhD in transportation from the University of Texas at Austin. Since 1992 I have been teaching, conducting research, and mentoring students at the University of Mississippi in the U.S. My specialized professional areas include infrastructure, transportation systems, sustainability and biodiversity practice in engineering design and construction, remote sensing and geospatial applications.